seven-gable stone country inn, located 15 minutes southwest of the
Kansas capital city of Topeka, is just over an hour from Kansas City
and two hours from Wichita.
first part of the Sage Inn was built in 1865 at the edge of the Kansas
Flint Hills to offer food and lodging to travelers on the Southwest
Trail, which joined the Oregon Trail at Topeka, KS to the Santa Fe
Trail at Council Grove, KS. Behind the Inn was one of only two fords
over Mission Creek, (then called American Chief Creek for the Kanza
Indian Chief's village nearby). Beyond the inn were miles of rolling
Flint Hills and Kansas prairie.
Logo - Kansas History Museum
In 1878, when the Inn was expanded to the size it
is today, it included a livery, corral for horses, ice house and
blacksmith shop. The stagecoach carried freight, mail and passengers to